Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mosa in the house





My son is finally here. After a month of having contractions, they decided to deliver me at 37 weeks. Mosa'ati Mohekonokono Tupou was born September 29th at 1:28pm. He was our little guy weighing in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 inches. I seriously laughed when they told me how small he was. I could have sworn he weighed like 20 pounds in my belly. Because of the stress of the contractions, his lungs were not fully developed. I barely saw him for a second after my c-section before they wisked him away. I kept asking for him and George would just tell me he was fine and getting a bath and all the normal stuff. Finally, after 5 hours the doctor came in to tell me about his lungs and that his heart had stopped a few times and that he had to be in the NICU with constant monitors on. I really was in shock. I hadn't expected any complications considering both girls were born before 37 weeks and were perfectly fine. 11 hours after giving birth I finally got to touch and hold my son for the first time. It was such a strange experience to have people supervising you with your own son and for him to have a heart monitor, oxygen and all these things hooked up to him. He was in the NICU for a total of 6 days. I know many people have gone through this same situation if not worse, but this was really hard for me. I felt like I couldn't bond with him since I could only go in for feedings. I was worried he would forget my voice. The only way I really survived was that I was blessed with the kindest nurses in the whole world. My nurses were so awesome. They made my life a whole lot easier. Mosa's nurses were so kind and loving I felt good leaving him with them. I hope they all knew how truly grateful I was to them. We came home yesterday. He is on a monitor. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to take care of him and the girls. George had to go back to work today (grrr...) so I was just kind of thrown in the mix right away. It is only morning but I can say it has been really positive so far. Mosa only woke up once at 3 to eat and then at 8. His monitor hasn't gone off. I have held and kissed and cuddled him to my heart's content. He couldn't be more perfect. I am so in awe of what a precious little human being he is. The girls have been great. Tati loves to "coo" him and mommy him. Mostly she is just glad her mommy is home. When the nurses would ask if she was here to see her little brother she would matter -of -factually tell them, "No, I'm here to see my mommy. She's my best friend." Alilia had been really good too. I was worried. She always asks were baby Mosa is, sometimes forgetting and calling him baby George. She talks to him in a high pitched voice which I think is hilarious. And, she did miss me. She called me a few times at night and as soon as I would talk to her she would cry for me. She has been pretty amazing. I'm just so grateful for my little family. I love my girls even more with the birth of their little brother. God has blessed us so much.

4 comments:

J said...

What a sweet post. I am so happy your little guy is home and things are going well. That is quite the name you gave him! I love it! It's good that the girls are being loving to the baby and not resentful. Hopefully they continue being your little helpers. Keep us updated on your little guy and the rest of your family. Lots of love to you and George. xoxox

Russells said...

I am so glad you sent me your blog! That was so fun to read and you are such a sweet momma!
Congratulations!

*Lauren* said...

Glad everything has turned out ok. I can feel your happiness through your post. Babies are wonderful---enjoy every moment and hope you both recover well

Jessica said...

Sooo glad everything turned out ok and that baby Mosa is home where he belongs! Congratulations, he's so handsome!