I was watching these kids the other day for a neighbor when their big brother came to pick them up. They were very excited to see their brother home from school. Tatiana standing at the door as they were leaving yelled to them, " Hey! I have a brother!" (I assumed she was talking about this bubster in my belly.) The boy said, " Oh where is he?" Tatiana replied," With Jesus. His name is Alan. He is an angel." I was so incredibly proud of her in that moment.
For those of you who don't know, Alan is our first son. George had Alan when he was seventeen. The relationship with Alan's mother didn't last, considering she was twenty-four. I try to choose my words carefully when I talk about her. She took him without George's permission and went to a different country. There are mixed stories about what happened during that time but I have heard that my sweet Alan was beat many times by her boyfriend till she finally left him at her parents back in Australia. George had many lawyers and detectives looking for his son and when word got back to him his son was back in Australia he immediately began his fight for custody. The courts gave him full custody. George got to spend a few short years with his son before he became ill with cancer. His birthmother never came to visit him. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer and the doctors said it was most likely from the years of being beat. Sweet Alan died at nine years old in 1999. I didn't know George then and it hurts my heart to think of him at this time.
When we were sealed in the temple I received the blessing of being sealed to Alan. I could feel his spirit so strong around me. When my girls were born each one of them looked so much like him. He and Alilia have a special bond. I will share that story another time. We look at his pictures a lot, talk about him and pray for him. I wasn't sure until the other day that Tatiana understood.
I never understood this woman who let this happen to her son and wasn't there for him in his last days. My MIL told me she had heard she was dying of cancer recently.
I love and am grateful to know our family has it's own personal gaurdian angel to watch over us. I know he is telling his little brother all about our little family and the love he has for us.
4 comments:
You've told me bits and pieces...but never connected the dots. Glad you shared your story.
I read this post a few days ago when you originally posted it, and I've thought about it many times since.
My heart broke to hear about poor little Alan suffering. But, I can only imagine all the happiness now that he's sealed to your amazing family.
So grateful for the beautiful gospel that makes all things right through the Atonement.
Great post!!
What an amazing story, Melissa. You guys are such an awesome family and Alan is lucky to have you for his parents for eternity :)
Post a Comment