Today was my last day working as a crossing guard for Crestview Elementary and it did not come without tears. I have grown to love these kids so much! Everyday, as I would drive to work I would think, I am so lucky to have this job. The kids say the nicest things to me and today was filled with hugs and even a few tears from them. I brought candy for them and sadly told them that they would have a new crossing guard. They all wanted to know where I was moving to and if it was close. Lots of them told me I was their favorite. It is so sad looking at those little faces and pretty much letting them know I may never see them again. I have watched kids graduate to junior high, younger siblings start kindergarten, braces, glasses, being beat up by bullies, kids passing out, kids scared and running to me for safety, being sick, falls, telling them not to swear, new bikes and so much more. I also have so many "waver friends" who never fail to wave to me from their car as they pass by. I can tell the time by what kids and cars have passed by. There are two boys that I just love that are brothers. I know their home life is pretty rocky and when I first met them they were trying so hard to act tough. I kept thinking what makes an elementary kid think he has to be perceived as tough? I would compliment them on something everyday and tell them to have a great day at school. Pretty soon I was hearing about girlfriends, new clothes and what they were doing each weekend. As I said goodbye to them today they were very quiet and I saw both of their eyes water up. I thought what if I am the only one who wishes them a good day every morning? Who will do it now? I just cried thinking I won't know how these kid's lives turn out. I am so grateful for the opportunity to know each one of them.
When I was in second grade I had a school yard duty named "Rocky". He was an elderly man and he always had candy in his pockets for me. My friends and I would race out to him and sometimes spend the entire recess listening about his wife or stories from when he was young. He was the grandpa I never had. I remember his hands were wrinkly and stubby and he had lost almost all his hair but his hug was the softest thing ever and he always made me feel special. I know this is a little melo dramatic for being the person who crosses the kids across the street but I hope I left a little "Rockiness" with them. Most of all I hope they know I cared.
P.S. I am going to be a home owner in less than two hours. Can I hear a WOO WOO?
7 comments:
So did you guys close? I'm so excited for you and can't wait to come see it! I had no idea it was happening so soon!!!!!
So excited for you guys!!!
You are awesome! What lucky kids to have such a caring person. Congrats on the new house!!!
You had me in tears! You have the writing blood. And you love little children like I do. I was watching The Dreamer the other night and was bawling because the little girl reminded me of a girl I had in my Primary class last year that I love and still miss (though I still see her at Church). Congratulations on your house -- hope you are snug as a bug in a rug. Love you.
Oh my goodness! You just made me a little teary! :( What a cute story!
Just checkin in to ask,....how is it being a homeowner? We've yet to see pictures and another post about how great it is? =0) Remind me again which city you are in. I really would like to see you.
P.S. I have something to tell you,....(smile)....
What the crap? When are you going to get on the ball and blog about your new place?
Post a Comment