Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cheers to today!

Yesterday was a day that goes down on the books forever. AS HORRIBLE! Tuesday night we got a phone call from Australia telling us some bad news. George's dad had been in the hospital the past two weeks with phenomena, which we knew. They had tried antibiotics and he wasn't getting better. In fact he was drowning to death with all the fluid in his lungs. So they had to operate and drain it out. We knew this already. Turns out when they were taking the 7 LITERS out of his lungs they found a cancerous tumor on top of his lungs. Because his body was so weak they said chemo would kill him and they didn't want to do another intrusive operation to remove it. So they weren't sure what they were going to do. I freaked out! I adore my father-in-law. We get each other and I enjoy spending time with him and hearing him tell me "I'm his favorite"(I'm sure he tells everyone that!). I slept maybe one hour that night just laying there freaking out. Most people who know me know my own parents are, well....hmmmm....well.... much more interested in themselves than anyone else. So when my in-laws finally came to visit it overwhelmed me on how wonderful they were! They truly were the family I had waited my whole life to have.
Anyways cue Wed. It started out with a doctor's visit which was stressful to get to. Luckily, a neighbor helped me out and watched the girls. The doctor was great. She is pregnant with her fifth child! SUPERWOMAN! I thought we would find out if it was twins or just one but she was concerned we were off our due date and since I tend to deliver early she wanted me to go to the "special" lab to get an ultrasound on Monday. She also told me that she was going to start me on steroid shots at 35 weeks. I never considered my early labor dangerous since my kids come out HUGE and are always healthy, but it did make me start worrying a little in the back of my mind. So I went home with a lot on my mind.
I had agreed to watch a friend's two kids while she took her other four to do some service. I hope if this friend reads this she is not offended with what I have to say. Long story short, while I was on the phone listening to my friend tell my of her miscarriage that day, the three year old went upstairs to my bathroom and took a nail polish. She then opened it and spilled PURPLE nail polish all over my carpet upstairs and all down the stairs and on multiple items of clothing. Clothing that was brand new with the tags still on. Like over a hundred dollars worth of clothing. And as for my carpet, I now have barney polka dots all over my one year old house that I have rubbed so hard the carpet fell out. Honestly, I would have rather lost a toe or finger. This was so traumatic for me. So, so traumatic! I know we won't have the money to replace our carpet for at least a year so I get to stare at these spots. The spots are about the size of a fist. Multiple fist spots. I think I could have dealt better if it was my child that did it. But my kids came running to tell me and never touched the polish. I think I would have dealt better if both of her kids didn't cry for the next forty minutes while I tried to call her and she didn't answer. I think I would have dealt better if when the Mom came in she didn't dismiss it by saying," If I had a dollar for every time she does something like that at my house"! No offer to pay for the clothing or carpet (which I would have refused but still appreciated). Nope, not much concern there. I'm still pretty chapped about it if you can't tell. I'm still sick down to my core as I throw away the brand new clothes. My kids would have gotten the beating of their lifetime!!!!!!! No joke there!
The day could not have gotten worse! But thankfully, I got a phone call that gave me light. My mother-in-law called to say when they went back to drain 5 MORE LITERS out of his lungs the tumor was gone. poof! no sign of it whatsoever. There were still cancer cells in the fluid that they drained so they need to figure out where that came from, but all in all this was terrific news! So, I am really trying to focus on the positive today. The girls and I are going to get some lunch and see if we can score something cute to redo at DI, maybe even check out the new Hobby Lobby. Yesterday is over and today is a present.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep focusing on the present. I'm so sorry about the clothes and carpet. Keep smiling and hugging your two little ones.

Sara said...

Holy Cow- could anything else have happened? Not to be too cliche, but when it rains it pours I guess! I hate to hear you had such a bad day, I would totally bring you a DP and some candy to drown your sorrows if I could. To para phase a quote I like from Lilly's purple plastic purse, "Yesterday was a bad day today will be better"

aniC said...

Oh, Melissa! I'm so sorry! I'm glad your father-in-law is ok though. What a miracle that the tumor was gone.
As for the other stuff...I'd say if you can get a second opinion about the whole steriod thing, I would. How early were your first two??
And the fingernail polish thing...OY!! That's why I hardly ever have anyone watch Judson at their house...I don't want to be responsible for him doing something like that.
I hope things get better.

*Lauren* said...

Oh my gosh! (To the bad news) &
Oh my gosh! (To the good news)

Jessica said...

Wow that is crazy about your father in law; I hope it all turns out ok. And that totally sucks about the carpet! Maybe you could get some area rugs? It might look awkward, but maybe better than the spots? You'll figure something out.

I hope you do have twins and I hope I get pregnant with twins and then we can have twin parties. And that your friend who miscarried gets pregnant with twins too. ;)

D said...

I've used this product called GREEN APPLE, and I think you can order it online that removes latex paint from carpets. I've used it and it works. Maybe you can still salvage it.

Hope things are looking up.